Monday 5 August 2013

Dr F'ing Who!

I did say that this blog wouldn't be all football and it appears I can only manage one footy article before allowing my inner geek to take over the the brain and writing implements!



Number 12 is here. Pic from MTV Geek News
So last night, live on BBC One, and screened across the globe the 12th Doctor was announced as Peter Capaldi to a rapturous reaction at Elstree Studios in Hertfordshire. I know that it was a great reaction as I was one of the 400 or so who were in attendance at the studios on this historic evening.

It was the first time that the new Doctor had been announced in this fashion, usually it's via a press release, although for Matt Smith they did do a Confidential Special with the decisions surrounded in secrecy. This time round they upped the anti with the live show. Tickets were made available a couple of weeks ago as a pilot of an entertainment show. My brothers wife applied for a bunch of them as there was a brief mention of Doctor Who but thought nothing more. On the day that they announced what the tickets were for there were over 5000 applications online for the 4 ticket maximum, a huge demand.


Waiting in the queue
Arriving at Elstree about 75 minutes before the gates opened there were 325 people in front of us, I can be that exact as one of my nephews picked up ticket 326 as we finally went through the gate. I'm not sure what the good people of Borehamwood thought as a queue of around 1000 people dressed as all manner of characters and creatures descended on their doorstep. I saw several Bakers (Colin & Tom), a fair smattering of Davisons, a posse of Tennents, lots of Fez action and one Valeyard! The atmosphere on the street was friendly as people took photos of one and other, handed out jelly babies and got interviewed by the various members of the press on hand.

Inside the studio the tension was palpable and the excitement built as the announcement got closer and when the 12th Doctor made his appearance the roof came off the studio and I, along with many others I suspect, had goosebumps as PC made his first appearance.


I am not a number...well actually I am!
The move away from a younger Doctor seems to make sense to me, I think Matt Smith is brilliant and has made a huge impression on the direction and future of the character and to have another young actor would probably lead to unfair comparisons. Capaldi is a well established, versatile actor who has that look in his eye and personality who already gives off that Doctor-ish quality. I think it's a great choice and can't wait to see him in action. The only question is when we will first see him, will the Moff stick him in to the 50th special in November? Remember the man's got form for this so it wouldn't be a huge surprise to see this happen but will be thrilling none the less.

Other highlights from the show included fellow Hamptonian Rufus Hound (@rufushound) make a couple of verbal typos in his praise of the show. To be fair I was sitting in the audience racked with nerves and hyped up so for anyone sitting in front of all those fans and the people at home combined with his own fanboy excitement I'm not shocked he got in the muddle. He's since put up an article on his blog following the show which is worth a read. Maybe I can try and persuade the great man to pay a visit to his local non-league club during the current season. I'm sure that our nickname should be enough to garner interest and probably a couple of sniggers #vivalabeaver

I also managed to get comments and favourites from my twitter feed from Dr Who fans across Europe from a single tweet showing the queue before the event which made my day. Like most fandoms everyone just wants to share the enjoyment of the show and it was nice to interact, even briefly, with fellow fans.

So that's it, Smith, thanks for everything and enjoy those final few months. Capaldi,over to you, be brilliant...I have no doubt you will be!

No comments:

Post a Comment