Wednesday 7 August 2013

Beavers v Eagles....how would that finish?


Well actually 2-1 to the Eagles as it would happen.  The Beavers finished up their pre-season schedule with the visit of a Crystal Palace XI on Monday night as 'The Management' got one more opportunity to take a look at the squad before it all gets serious with the visit of Margate on Saturday.


A night at Non-League?
Yes please Daddy!
As a holiday treat young Tommy was allowed to attend an evening game, during term time its strictly forbidden. The fact that my six year old son considers attending an evening non-league friendly as the highlight of the week, quite frankly, makes me feel about 100 feet tall. Before setting off the main concern for Tommy was that we both had our shirts on and that the #footballhat was on display, on route the topics for discussion ranged from which new players had signed, who had gone and counting snails and slugs. 

On arrival the programme was duly purchased and whilst Tommy devoured the information I took the opportunity to partake of a beverage and have a chat with my nephew's Paul and Bradley and niece Olivia. There was much discussion of the appointment of the 12th Doctor which I and Bradley had been at the previous day.

So on to the match, and I'm not really going to do full on match reports as I'm usually too busy chatting, making witty comments or in the process of getting another pint, but I will put up my random thoughts on the actual pitch based action. If you want a high quality match report check out the official HRBFC website rather than my illiterate scribbles!

With Palace playing at Dulwich the following night this was a young side that stepped on to the lush Beveree turf however, due to my unhealthy obsession with the Football Manager series of PC games, there were a few names I recognised and had tried to sign when in control of that lower league super power Hartlepool United!

The first half was a fast paced affair with the Mighty Beavers (kinda like the Mighty Ducks from the stunning film of the same name starring Emilio Estevez!) on the attack and looking to skate past their higher level opponents. I do like the attacking formation that Paul & Darren have settled on and they look to be putting square pegs in square holes. The midfield had bit and guile with Stuart Lake playing in the holding role, Tommy Brewer getting up and down the pitch and James Simmonds looking to provide the spark from midfield. Joe Turner and Matt Reece started wide right and left of Charlie Moone up front and at regular intervals swapped wings to give the full backs something to think about. In defence, the fresh of the plane, Billy Jeffreys slotted in alongside Marcus Rose and looked composed...and a bit orange! Although 3 months in LA, Florida or wherever the heck he was will probably do that to you!

Hampton took the lead through Jeffreys when he jumped highest at the far post from a Simmonds corner and Palace had to thankful to their keeper for several smart saves which kept it to just the one goal at half time. The second half saw Palace come more in to the game and just after the hour mark, following a triple substitution by the Beavers, equalised.


Jon is a trendsetter.
Honestly!
It was shortly after that I and Tommy departed, partly due to the time and partly due to my back starting to really struggle after a 11 hour day at work. Only 4 and a bit weeks post op I still need to take it easy and not push it too much. I'm targeting a full 90 minutes against Margate and this week started driving again after a 10 week break, only to work and back, but I'm hoping I can use Lewes away as a trial run for a longer drive. We'll see how it goes. In other news there is a new clothing trend in Hampton where you wear your shirt back to front. My good friend @Jonnus55 demonstrates this in the photo to the right!

As I said in my first blog, I still have some concerns over bits of the squad but overall  it seems to be coming together very well. The first real test is Margate on Saturday and they will be a good side. Hampton will be missing Tom Hickey and Karle Carder due to suspension and there are injury concerns over a couple of other players as well. However the most important fact is that proper football is back and I couldn't be more delighted!

#VivaLaBeaver Fantasy Premier League

Anyone (mad Beaver fan or otherwise) who want to take part in a Fantasy League Challenge this season with possibility of a fine trophy at the end of the season take a look here for more information. No costs, no charges and just a spot of fun....unless I win, in which case I shall lord it over the entire world!


No comments:

Post a Comment